Dilbert Lessons for the data center is a five part series. Check back for more!
Number 4) There is a lot of value in server virtualization and consolidation projects:
- This is a great time to update the cabinet or cabinet PDU at the same time to leverage new functionality and features.
- Though a PDU is part of the critical physical infrastructure it cannot last forever especially as hot aisle temperatures continue to rise.
- Great time to also look at 3-Phase 400V power solutions (230 or 240V to the device) as another way to increase efficiency in your data center.
- If you go 3-Phase then an alternating phase PDU will greatly reduce the length of the required power cords and increase air flow within your cabinet.
- Existing POPS PDU’s combined with software tools easily allow the user to determine which servers are zombies and which are actually doing useful work.
- Also a great time to update to new servers with more efficient power supplies for greater overall cost savings.