Server Technology offers Per Outlet Power Sensing (POPS) technology for switched and smart power distribution units (PDUs).
POPS-enabled PDUs enable per-outlet measurements of voltage, power (kW), current, crest factor, power factor and apparent power. It's availalbe in Server Technology's Smart and Switched PDUs.
Here are 10 reasons to use POPS PDUs in your data center:
- See how devices are using power: It’s one thing to see how much power a rack consumes. It’s quite another thing to see how much power an individual server consumes. With a POPS PDU, you will be able to measure power consumption on a per-outlet basis for detailed tracking.
- Reduce costs: Once you see which devices are consuming the most power in a cabinet, then you can drill down further and make changes that can result in major cost savings.
- Prolong equipment life: By keeping an eye on how much power your devices are using on a daily basis, you can optimize them for efficiency and get more mileage out of them.
- Become greener: A POPS PDU enables remote power, temperature and humidity monitoring. Use this feature to safely adjust environmental conditions in your cabinets. For instance, experiment with temperature settings to reduce cooling settings and save water.
- Stay in the know: You can receive email or SNMP-based alerts when temperature conditions exceed certain thresholds. This will allow you to cut or reduce power consumption to avoid problems.
- Increase density (safely): Increasing density is a great strategy that can grant you more floor space. It’s also risky. Use a POPS PDU to track and monitor power usage when increasing cabinet densities.
- Gain peace of mind: You can’t always be on site to check the status of your devices. You can, however, use Server Technology’s Sentry Power Manager in conjunction with POPS PDUs to view your equipment and perform updates over a Web interface.
- Streamline firmware updates: Firmware updates can be a hassle to deal with. Fortunately, POPS PDUs e can be automatically updated over an FTP server.
- Improve communication: With a POPS PDU, your whole team can be kept in the loop about cabinet conditions. Up to 104 user accounts can be created, and 18 people can be logged in simultaneously over an SNMP connection.
- Avoid human error: Avoid making critical mistakes when checking power loads, adjusting conditions or generating reports. POPS PDUs are fully-automated.